Monday, 16 June 2014

Game Of Thrones (Season 4) Discussion

See the comments section below.

13 comments :

Alex said...

EPISODE 1:

This was hard to watch. I'm still in an "Orange Is The New Black" frame of mind, and this was quite the change of pace. The look of it, the acting, the tone, everything so different.

Plus there was so much I couldn't remember from the last season. It took me until right the end of the episode to feel like I was finally settling into things.

Arya and The Hound at the end were sort of a saving grace. I loved their twist on the old-school screwball comedy schtick.
"Of course you named your sword."
"Lots of people name their swords."
"Lots of cunts."

The fight with the brigands was a bit crap though. I could barely make out what was going on through most of it. To many shadows, bad choreography, bleh. But then, the actions never been the show's strong point.

Alex said...

EPISODE 2:

Mmmm, wedding scene at the end was very nice.

I don't remember anything about the two younger Stark boys. Who is that boy and girl that Bran is with? And where are Rikon and the wildling girl?

Alex said...

EPISODE 3:

So, what was the story with that Valeryian sword? Was it Robb's or something?

Dragon girl looked pretty uncomfortable on that horse, and the big pyramid city looked kind of awful, but once again, I thought the episode ended on a strong note. "A man who hides his dick in his own arsehole" made me laugh. For a second, I thought Danaerys was going to piss on the ground.

So, Jamie and Circe; is this the rape scene that some people are grumbling over, or is that still to come? Also, I've noticed people in real life using the word "raper" now, instead of "rapist". I wonder if this show has anything to do with that?

Melba said...

You probs should have done a recap and watched the last few eps of previous season? I couldn't remember anything either. Long time in between drinks.

Ep 1: yes the Hound & Arya sideshow. It only gets better.

Ep 2: I was asking the same questions about the boy & girl w/ Bran & Hodor. I can't remember how they came to be travelling together but the girl & boy are brother/sister. The wildling girl and Rikon have split up from Bran's 'Scooby' gang (I saw this on a recap, it's a great term)because the Scooby Gang are heading north of the wall (we don't know why at that stage)and it's too dangerous for Rikon so he's gone elsewhere, can't remember where, with that woman.

Ep 3: the sword was Ned Stark's, they melted it and made two out of one (cause it was legendarily ginormous) I can't remember now who gets the two swords, was it in that episode?

Yes that's the rape scene, if you mean the one next to Joff's body. I don't know about raper v rapist. The people in real life who are using it, do they also watch the show? Interesting if there's been a shift. I wonder if raper is an old word and rapist newer?

Alex said...

Earlier in the year I had this idea of going back and re-watching the whole show, but I think I only got four or so episodes in. It seems if I don't explicitly make time for telly watching in my to-do list, it just doesn't get done.

On the swords, one of them went to Jamie and the other to Joff. I dunno if they buried him with it or not. Maybe it'll come up later.

Yes, a lot of the people I've heard saying "raper" definitely watch the show, and others might and I don't know it. I've been avoiding outright discussion of the programme for the last ten weeks. Which has been quite difficult at times, now that it's so bloody popular. I told you about the young fella at the checkout?

Dunno about the history of the word. But I have heard a few people discussing whether or not the show is trivialising/exploiting rape as entertainment too much. Apparently it's starting to creep into the fringes of pop-culture a little more now too. Some prominent comics writers have said that they don't see any reason to handle sexual violence in fiction any different to murder or other forms of violence (ie: sometimes it's cool, or funny, or just done in a throwaway manner).

I haven't made up my mind on this one. Whadda you think?

EPISODE 4:

I think it's interesting how Arya is weaseling her way into Hound's affections. I think she sees him as someone she can learn from. And after she spent all that time wishing him dead, too. I really want to see her grown up, but I wonder if the book series will extend that far. Isn't there only a couple more volumes planned?

I hope they don't kill off Briene too quickly. I see potential for her and Pod as another comedy duo. Maybe they will hook up with Arya & Hound. Wouldn't that be a quartet? Arya could probably learn from Brienne, too.

And what happened to Robert's bastard son who escaped from Stanis? Kendal, or whatever his name was? The blacksmith with the bull helmet. Didn't he row to King's Landing, or something?

Alex said...

EPISODE 5:

Has it been forgotten that in the first season, there was mention of Circe having a first-born son with black hair that died as an infant? Wasn't that what tipped off Ned to the incest? Now, even Circe talks of Joff being first born.

Also, is it just me, or is the timeline nonsensical? As we flash from storyline to storyline, in one it seems like days have passed, while in others, only hours. They talk about Joff's war lasting years? In some respects that seems right, but in other ... ?

Isn't Lyssa a wonderful character? Glorious in all her murderous insanity. I hope Little Finger doesn't knock her off too quickly.

I like the concept of the Iron Bank. An unfeeling temple built to honour money. One whose shadow we all live in. Little bit of contemporary commentary there, perhaps?

Pod & Brienne are shaping up nicely. Really enjoying the Hound/Arya dynamic, too. Have you ever seen a Chinese picture called "The Prodigal Son"? It's based on some old legend about a great martial-arts master who learned from two brother (in arms). The first teaches him the "art" of fighting and the second teaches him, well, the fighting of fighting. Great film. Full of humour. I am reminded a lot of it with this.

You reckon whatever's drawing Bran North has something to do with those monster thingies that turned that bub into a white walker?

Alex said...

EPISODE 6:

Hoo, mate; fuckin' drama.

Dinklage was really putting it all on display in this episode, wasn't he? Almost going too far and making some of the other performances look conspicuously weak by comparison.

I've seen him in other stuff, and even before GoT I thought he was a decent actor. But, y'know, nobody casts a dwarf in anything unless the script specifically calls for a dwarf.

Maybe he's going to be the one to change all that?

Alex said...

EPISODE 7:

Brilliant scene between Tyrion and Bron, and Tyrion and Prince Obi-wan. And another brilliant scene with Hound and Arya.

A pity about crazy aunt Lyssa. It was inevitable, but I'd hoped she'd be around for a little longer at least.

I'm calling that Shae will only be seen once more before she's bumped off. Betrayed by Circe, perhaps? Raped and killed by The Mountain?

And is that the third fucking bloke they've had playing The Mountain now? Christ, what are they doing with them all?

I thought we were going to get a cock-shot of that Second Son bloke, and then instead they go to a nude scene with the Red Woman. Fuck, I feel like they're just rubbing it in face now.

... And not in a good way.

Alex said...

EPISODE 8:

Well, Dragon Mum's in a bit of a pickle now she's lost her voice of reason, isn't she?

And Sansa's finally getting a little more depth. Took them long enough. I've had high hopes for that girl. But ... was it meant to be implied that she rooted Little Finger? Was that reveal when she walked through the curtain with the light behind her meant to imply that she was emerging for the first time as a woman? Or some shit like that?

The fight at the end was well done. And quite surprising. But I so wanted to hear the line, "My name is Oberyne Martell, you killed my sister, prepare to die." I trust there'll be other, interesting and plot-relevant characters come out of Dorne in the future. Otherwise, it makes the prince seem like a bit of a plot contrivance, doesn't it?

I find it hard to swallow that they'd kill off Tyrion at this point. I suppose if it's in the book, they don't have much choice, but it'd certainly be a loss for the show.

Alex said...

EPISODE 9:

I stand by my assertion that action is not this show's strong suit. I was thoroughly fed up with this episode by the end.

I liked Snow's red haired wildling girl, too. Think I would have rather lost Snow, to be honest.

Alex said...

EPISODE 10:

Well, I guessed the next time we saw Shae would be the last, but I didn't think it'd be Tyrion. Thought it would probably be his sister or dad. I was starting to wonder how long old man Lannister would last too, but again, wasn't suspecting Tyrion. Seems they're keeping him, after all, but I guess he'll no longer be front and centre of the action, which is a shame, since it means less Dinklage on screen. He's quite the stand-out in this, actor wise.

So, now Circe and Margery fight over control of Tommen? And with all their big brains and big brawn gone, I'd guess the Lannisters are going to be fucked against Stan's army; unless their alliance with the wildlings breaks down. So, are we going to see king Stan by the end of next season? And then what? A war between the magical powers of the Lord of Light and the White Walker thingies? While Dragon girl learns how to rule and then swoops in at the end to save the day?

Ah, who knows. Probably me, if I read the books. But who wants to spoil the surprise?

Quite disappointed with the Brienne/Hound/Arya thing. Was hoping they'd fight to a standstill and then form a merry little band. I suppose Arya is off to Bravos to learn the art of assassination from her shape-changing mate?

Also, I was hoping for an eventual showdown between Hound & Mountain (who is going to be a monster now?). Seemed the logical order of things was for Mountain to kill Hound and for Arya to kill Mountain. I suppose if we don't actually see him die, there's always a chance.

Anyway, surprises are all part of the fun, and disappointments are all part of surprises. Still a good series overall, I'd say. Pity we'll have to wait a year to find out what happens next.

Melba said...

The king's bastard, I don't remember what happened to him. His name: can't remember either and daughter is not here for me to ask. I read your comments re Brienne and the Hound and Arya in this comment block knowing what was coming. It was hard to watch, that. I also thought how fabulous to have Brienne and Arya teaming up. But I'm getting ahead of myself.

Lyssa, yes, she was wonderful but so good getting her out of the way. Littlefinger, wow. Sansa's transformation. Double wow. Everyone on the Internet seems to think they fucked, do you? I don't myself, not yet. I think she's just worked out what she needs to do to either get revenge and get power or both. And that is playing Littlefinger or teaming up with him.

Dinklage has always been wonderful and so watchable but in these couple of eps with him in the tower, amazing.

I was sad to lose wildling Ygritte but I didn't mind the action scene of that episode. I'm not an authority on them, though. You've obvs seen heaps. I think Jon Snow is going to be one of the to the end people. That's my gut feeling. I think he's a Targarayan and can ride a dragon. He's a bit insipid though.

Yes Shae. I don't know whether she had set him up from the start on behalf of his father or not, but what a couple of scenes! We know, because we saw Tyrion tell earlier about his first love and how he was betrayed. Now we see it happen again and we see his pain, it was just awful. And killing Tywin. I thought Tywin would have to die somehow for Tyrion to survive, and I guessed Jamie would help him somehow. I wonder what's in store for Tyrion and Varys.

I'm tempted to read ahead with the books but I think I'd regret it, would rather keep a step behind with the reading and discover plot through the series. I think. Depends how desperate I get in the next 9 months.

I thought the last episode was pretty good, esp with the children of the forest but any time a zombie/white walker/something very strange pops up, it seems wrong somehow, as if genres are being mixed. Do you get that feeling?

Alex said...

I think the very first scene in the first episode has white walkers in it, and there's been enough of a sprinkling of supernatural crap that I don't feel like it's an intrusion or breaking the rules of the world or anything. But the politics and drama is so strong and the monsters and fighting and computer imagery is so weak by comparison, it's almost jarring sometimes. It'd be like having a musical where the story and acting were phenomenally good, but all the songs were just sort of okay. And sometimes when you put something great next to something decent, it ends up making the decent thing look crappier than it really is.

The battle in episode 9 wasn't horrible, but it wasn't good enough to sustain that much screen time in a show with such fantastic drama. Not for me, anyway.

I too have been avoiding the temptation of reading the books (yes, I have them). It hasn't been as hard for me I suppose, since I'm so crap at making time for reading fiction anyway. But I'm getting so much joy from the show, and I feel like a lot of that might be sucked out if I knew what was going to happen. On the other hand, reading the books afterward will probably add a rich layer of detail, making that experience enjoyable in its own right. Maybe it'll even improve the show on subsequent re-watchings.

I read your comments re Brienne and the Hound and Arya in this comment block knowing what was coming. It was hard to watch, that.

You mean it was hard to watch the fight between Brienne & Hound, or Arya abandoning Hound? I was disappointed that it went in the direction it did, but I was happy with the execution. Heart strings were tugged. It's a testament that I care so much about the characters.

I don't know what happened between Sansa & Ladyfinger. I thought the visual language was suggesting there had been a "deflowering", but it was kind of ambiguous. I couldn't read it clearly. Sansa has been such a passive character, and I have such high hopes for her. I just hope she doesn't get thrown away before she "pays off" -- and I want a big pay-off for such a long, laborious build up. What I'd really like to see is Sansa go from hapless pawn to grand chess-master; learning from Littlefinger until outgrowing him and bumping him off; eventually battling on even ground (wits wise) with the likes of Circe & Margery. And I'd like to see Arya become a master killer before the sisters are reunited. Maybe they will even be on opposite sides. Unfortunately, I kind of doubt the series will go long enough for all that to happen. There'd need to be a time jump. It'd be a mess.

In the early series, wasn't it made clear that Varys was a pedo? And now there's all this stuff about him being asexual. Are they redefining his character to make him more likeable? Is he going to be a more prominent character? What are they going to do with him and Tyrion?

Was Shae a plant from the start? Good question. I think I need to go back and look for clues.

Jon Snow is not one of my favourite characters, but I think you might be right about him going all the way (dunno about the dragon thing though? What was the description Ned gave of his mother? Did she have white hair? Has he ever been touched by fire and not burned?) I think there's a little bit of a theme in the show with the, um, "least children" (by the standards of the world) becoming the most important. Like with Tyrion being the standout Lannister and Deneris starting out as a pawn of her brother (who was supposed to be king). I think it's likely to be Jon Snow and one of the daughters (probably Arya) who end up being the "successors" of the house Stark. At this point, I'd bet Rikon and Bran get sacrificed eventually.